Thursday, November 4, 2010

Appeal to Emotion

Often, emotions get the best of people and cause us to do things we can't really explain into words. Appeals to emotions in arguments are premises that make a person behave to believe something because of how they feel. For example, politicians mostly use ads that attack their opponents and make themselves not look as bad. Voters are in turn worried about these candidates. This is an example appeal to fear.

Appeal to pity struck me more mainly because it's hard to turn down someone or something in need. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a bad situation, so seeing someone in a bad time of their life affects me in such a way that I feel like they need my help. Feelings of sympathy is something everyone should have at least to some degree. So appeal to pity is probably the most common.

No comments:

Post a Comment