Saturday, November 13, 2010

Inductive and Deductive Reasoning

I found both inductive and deductive reasoning somewhat challenging to fully understand after just reading Wikipedia's versions. After reading more examples and some of my classmates' postings, it was a lot easier to understand. I now know that inductive reasons are essentially educated guesses. For example, if a pattern or trend were to occur, it would easy to assume that that occurrence would continue. On the other hand, deductive reasoning is concluding from a set of premises similar to the logic where "If A then B. If B then C. Therefore, if A then C." What confused me was that I thought they were polar opposites of each other. However, after further research, they were just different types of reasoning, not necessarily opposites.

No comments:

Post a Comment