Friday, September 3, 2010

Subjective vs. Objective

Subjective claims are claims that are based on opinions rather than facts. These types of claims are omitted either verbally or in written form with a sense of personal bias depending on the topic. An example of subjectivity is the seemingly arrogant sports fan also known as my cousin. When it comes to sports, he's the type of person who will talk up his own favorite sports teams and criticize other teams he does not like. He says things like "My team is the best." or "My team is better than yours" without actually giving much evidence to back his claim up. Now I understand that he can support any team he wants to which I do not have a problem with. The problem is the fact that his subjective way of thinking irks people including myself.

Unlike subjective claims, objective claims are based mainly off of facts and are not as biased. Although objective claims may not be true all the time, evidence exists to at least argue to be proven true. An example of an objective claim is happened a couple of weeks ago at the toy store where I work. A customer approached me about an item and tried to explain the price was not correct. Personally, I knew the retail price of the item and respectfully responded back to him about why the price was what it was. I did agree, however, that the item was overpriced. This was an objective claim by myself because, even though I sort of agreed with the considerably subjective customer, the price of the item was correctly priced.

2 comments:

  1. I also have a cousin that say that too. Saying that "My team is best!" is subjective. I understand that is your cousin's point of view, but I don't see it in that way. It does seem rather vague, doesn't it?

    I deal with customers everyday when I am working too. When they ask, "Why is this price of this shirt more expensive than this shirt?" I have to explain to the customer that the price is on clearance, but it is based on the color. Also, when an item is misplaced in the store, customers assume that it priced where it is marked. Some customers do not know how to read the signs at all. Have you ever had this experience? I am pretty sure you have. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a few people take a lot of pride in their favorite team so I know exactly where you and your cousin are coming from. Sometimes it gets to the point where someone would bash on other teams and that too is subjective.

    At the place I work, we rarely have special promotions and we certainly do not give discounts. Our registers don't even have a button to mark prices lower. A lot of the times, customers would come back with more than half eaten food complaining it was stale or it had a bad taste asking for a lower price. The price marked is the actual price for the particular item and it is objective however some customers think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete